Monday, October 2, 2017

International Day of Nonviolence: 2017

Praying for the victims and those impacted by hate and violence in Las Vegas, Nevada on what is the 148th anniversary of the birth of Mohandas Gandhi and the day the United Nations sets aside to observe nonviolence. The destructive evils of hatred and violence were on display early this morning.  Let us break the cycle of hate and violence embracing each other with dignity and love. Violence is not the answer.


"The world of tomorrow will be, must be, a society based on non-violence. That is the first law; out of it all other blessings will flow. It may seem a distant goal, an impractical Utopia. But it is not in the least unobtainable, since it can be worked for here and now."
 - Mohandas Gandhi

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."
 - Martin Luther King Jr. 

"The cause of human rights is a single cause, just as the people of the world are a single people. The talk today is of globalization, but we must state that unless there is global solidarity, not only human rights but also the right to remain human will be jeopardized." 
- Oswaldo Payá Sardiñas


Today, Tom Petty passed away and in mourning his absence we remember his music. Their is a song he wrote in 1991 "Two gunslingers" that is an appeal to nonviolence and on this day of nonviolence the words are reproduced below.


"Two Gunslingers"


Two gunslingers walked out in the street and one said
"I don't wanna fight no more."
And the other gunslinger thought about it and said,
"Yeh, what are we fighting for?"

I'm takin' control of my life, I'm takin' control of my life
I'm takin' control of my life right now, oh yeah

Well the crowd that assembled for the gun fight
Were let down, everyone hissed and booed
And a stranger told his Mrs., "That's the last one of those gunfights
You're ever gonna drag me to."

I'm takin' control of my life, I'm takin' control of my life
I'm takin' control of my life right now, oh yeah

Well the two gunslingers went ridin' out of town and
Were never heard from no more
And there ain't been a gunfight for a long time
Maybe never, but nobody knows for sure

I'm takin' control of my life, I'm takin' control of my life
I'm takin' control of my life right now, oh yeah

Petty also penned a strong song for "Peace in L.A." in the midst of the 1992 riots.  It is important to honor instances of nonviolence no matter where they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment